Information to help coach and group parties plan a visit to Furness.
Barrow Town Centre Initiative - Group Visits Incentive Scheme - 2015
Welcome to Barrow in Furness... on the shores of Morecambe Bay.
Group organisers and coach operators from across the country are discovering one of the best kept secrets in Britain.
With the sea on one side, the Lakes on the other, Cumbria’s largest town enjoys an enviable location and an impressive blend of cultural attractions.
Barrow is a Victorian built town with a proud heritage of innovation, surrounded by beautiful beaches and inspiring scenery.
- The Dock Museum, Barrow’s flag ship attraction, built over an original Victorian Graving Dock. Admission is free open Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday.
- Furness Abbey, the dramatic ruins of one of the largest Cistercian Abbeys in England.
- Piel Island with its 14th century castle.
- 45 acre Barrow Park based on a design by Thomas Mawson and featuring display glasshouse.
- South Lakes Wild Safari Zoo.
- Wax Lyrical factory shop.
- Barrow is the Lake District’s Premier Shopping town with major national stores and Specialist and Independent retailers.
- Large Indoor Market with over 80 stalls open on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays
- Excellent choice of pubs, cafes, family favourites such as McDonalds, Pizza Hut, KFC and tea shops whist restaurants offer international cuisine e.g.. Indian, Chinese, Italian as well as traditional Cumbrian Fayre.
- The Forum an innovative Theatre and Arts Centre.
- Hollywood Park Leisure Complex.
- Lazerzone & PlayZone.
- Three internationally renowned nature reserves.
- Piel Island with its 14th century castle and historic pub.
- Victorian Town Hall (Tours by appointment).
- Dalton Castle (open Saturdays or by arrangement).
Events throughout the year include a Walking Festival, various Carnivals and the nationally famous Dalton Christmas Tree Festival which runs each weekend throughout December.
We have compiled a list of suggested tours for coach and group parties to follow, but it may also be suitable for families and individuals. The links will open a PDF, in a new browser window, with brief details of the tour. Please refer back to these pages for further information on the attractions listed.
There is Free coach parking at:
You do not have to be visiting the above venues to take advantage of the free coach parking.
Town Centre coach drop off point is adjacent to the Town Hall opposite the Hotel Imperial.
See the location of the coach drop off point on StreetMap.uk. Opposite Hotel Imperial in Cornwallis Street
For details of Group rates contact:
- Furness Abbey, 01229 82342,
- Lazerzone, 01229 82382,
- South Lakes Wild Animal Park, 01229 466086
Special accommodation packages are available for Groups at:
(links go to Hotel Details on Barrow Tourism Accommodation Service)